Mmm…this is perfect for cold winter days… at least, My Person and Other Person seem to enjoy it. Tear.
Chicken (I used 5 drumsticks, but you can use whatever you want)
1 chopped onion
1 or 2 cups chopped carrots
2 peeled and chopped potatoes
- Boil large pot of water (1/2 full)
- Add chicken to boiling water; add some salt; reduce heat to medium. Simmer for a few hours or overnight
- Add onions and carrots (My Person usually also adds celery, but she could not afford celery this week); simmer for a few more hours
- Remove bones from soup (the chicken meat should have fallen off the bones at this point and the bones should be easy to extract)
- Add potatoes*; simmer for a few more hours
- Add salt to taste
*Optional: My Person usually adds eggs noodles instead of potatoes. This makes the meal more hearty and egg noodles are also delicious. But, again, she could not afford egg noodles this week and at $0.39 each, potatoes are a cheap substitute for heartiness.